Saving the environment
Now you might not care about performance issues in Internet Explorer 6 because Internet Explorer 6 should die, but there are other issues to consider, too:
Every time a visitor does a page view on a site that is using Omniture for tracking, the Omniture code runs through the following steps:
- Eval the script
- Deobfuscation Part 1 (The deobfuscation operations include multiple substitutions and shuffling of parts of the string using a "key")
- Deobfuscation Part 2
- Eval of the result of the deobfuscation.
This is how you can fix your tracking code until Omniture releases a fix for the issue (Works with H.19.3 but should work in later versions):
- Somewhere in your tracking code there is a part saying: c = s_d(c)
- The function might be called something else but the name should end in "_d"
- Copy the result of the console.log to your clip board
- Substitude the statement c = s_d(c) with c = unescape("PASTE_FROM_CLIPBOARD")
The fix is running without issues on on of our customer's sites thus saving 30 million deobfuscations per month already. Writing this blog article took about 4 times as long as figuring out the deobfuscation itself. The competitive advantage that might be gained with the extra "security" mechanism is thus only worth a couple of minutes.